Aylburton Village Club

Memorial Hall and Playing Field
Charity: 301460

"Let those who come after see to it that their names are not forgotten "

The Memorial Hall and Playing Field remain at the heart of a thriving community and are run by a trust, the Aylburton Village Club, which is a registered charity (301460).

Foundation Stone

The Hall was constructed in 1920, when Aylburton was undergoing immediate post Great War rejuvenation, although the use of the field and carnival are known to pre-date this. The trust was formally founded in 1922 to commemorate those of the village who fell in the First World War. The land and buildings were paid for by public subscription and a generous donation by Charles Bathurst, 1st Viscount Bledisloe. The object of the Club is "to provide a place of physical and mental recreation and improvement for the benefit of the inhabitants of the Parish of Aylburton without distinction of sex or of political, religious or other opinions."

At present there are 9 trustees:
Simon Rutherford (Chair), Beth Goldsworthy (Treasurer), Kerry Leppier (Secretary), Peter Clarke, Dan Keddle, Simon Rutherford, Mark Sargent, Roy Thomas and Jeannie Williams. They serve for 3 years and can be re-elected. The officers of the Club must be re-elected every year.

Thanks are due to our longstanding and very patient former chairman Bob Berryman and our longstanding treasurer Sheila Berryman who stood down at the 2020 AGM. Thanks are also due to our longstanding secretary John Ridley who stood down in 2018.

The Club relies entirely on the efforts of the trustees and public support to keep this important community facility open.

The annual village carnival is held to raise money for the upkeep of the Hall and Field. It has been held for well over 100 years. The 2020 Carnival was unfortunately cancelled due to COVID-19. COVID-19 in 2020 has proved challenging for our activities, as for all Village Halls.

The Club is always keen to hear from anyone who feels that they have the personal skills and experience needed to help in the running of the Hall and would like to become a trustee.

The Annual General Meeting held every February is an occasion when the trustees report on the work of the Club to the community.




The Memorial Garden

The Hall and Cottage before the official opening
at Easter, 1921
.

Aylburton Memorial Hall